HSL may collect both Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. “Personal Information” means any information that can be used to identify you. Some examples of Personal Information include your name, address, email address and phone number. “Non-Personal Information” means information that on its own cannot be used to identify you. Some examples of Non-Personal Information include usage data relating to our website and Products, page views, etc.
Information may be aggregated and/or anonymized. When information is aggregated, it is combined with information about other customers and users. When information is anonymized, Personal Information is removed from collected data and the remaining portion of the data, containing only Non-Personal Information, is repurposed for internal or external use, such as, for example, to determine how many users of a particular router include an Internet-enabled television in a home network environment, or how many users viewed a particular website page. Aggregated information that includes Personal Information is considered Personal Information until it has been anonymized. Anonymized information is considered Non-Personal Information. In general, usage data collected when you visit our website or use HSL Products is both aggregated and anonymized so it does not identify you personally
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us. If you fill in forms on our website or correspond with us by phone, email or otherwise, you may be providing us with information about you, which may include Personal Information. This includes information you provide when you register on our website, search for a product, download files or otherwise request support. Personal Information you give us may include your name, address, email address, phone number and other contact information, financial and credit card information and any other information that can be used to personally identify you.
Information we collect about you. We may automatically collect information when you use our website, including:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (“IP”) address used to connect your computer or other device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and language preferences. This information is all normally provided by your web browser, and we do not specifically request it.
- Information about your visit to our website, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (“URL”) clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times; download errors; length of visits to certain pages; videos watched; page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs); and methods used to browse away from the page.
- Any phone number or email address used to contact customer support.
- Usage data about how and when you use Products, other devices that are connected to Products and what features you use.
Information we receive from other sources. We work closely with third parties who provide services to us (including, for example, business partners, subcontractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and we may receive information about you from them.
How We Use Information
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes. These purposes will be consistent with the reason you provided the information to us or for a directly related purpose. The uses we make of such information include the following:
- To set up an account for you.
- To facilitate your purchase and/or download of Products.
- To authenticate use of your account.
- To register your Product in our product database.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us.
- To assist you with customer support.
- To communicate about and administer participation in customer promotions and surveys.
- To provide you with information about the Products you use, such as new features, bug fixes, service downtimes or upgrades.
- To help us develop new Products and improve current Products.
- To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. We (or selected third parties) will contact you by electronic means only if you have opted-in to receive marketing information. “Opt-in” means that you have taken an affirmative action to receive information, such as by checking a box or clicking a button.
- To notify you about changes to our websites and Products and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To administer our website and Products for internal operational purposes, including troubleshooting, data and statistical analysis, testing, research and survey purposes.
- To improve our website and Products and to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device.
- To ensure the security of our website and Products
About cookies on website
We may need to store information about you using cookies (files which are sent by us to your computer or other access device) which we can access when you visit our site in future. We do this to allow the site to remember your country choice for future visits. We also use google analytics to measure the effectiveness of our website. In order to work, google analytics also leaves cookies.
If you want to delete any cookies that are already on your computer, please refer to the instructions for your file management software to locate the file or directory that stores cookies. Information on deleting or controlling cookies is available at www.AboutCookies.org. Please note that by deleting our cookies or disabling future cookies you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our site.
Updated Nov 21, 2014